Being a HERO School is a very special designation and we are honoured and excited to hold that title. HERO Generation is a research-based, positive education framework that supports staff and student well-being. The framework, designed by Plasticity Labs, provides educators with tools to build a positive learning environment where students can flourish.
The HERO Traits focus on skill development, strengthening: Hope, Efficacy, Resilience, Optimism (HERO) along with Gratitude, Empathy, Mindfulness (GEM). These traits have been shown to increase academic success, boost individual health, happiness and performance, and decrease stress and anxiety in youth and adults. Early research suggests these benefits are only enhanced further when students practise these traits at home as well as in the classroom.
Throughout the school year we will be sharing activities that reinforce your child’s learning using our school website TWITTER and school day. It is our hope that these resources will help us to achieve our joint goal of building the most positive, inclusive, and high-performing school communities for all students.
What is hope?
- Hope is knowing there is a way to reach your goals and believing that you will get there.
- Hope is about goal setting, planning how to achieve it, and taking actions to do so.
- Hope isn’t only wishful thinking – it’s about working hard towards your goals.
What is efficacy?
- Self-efficacy is about believing in yourself and knowing you have the skills to achieve what you set your mind to.
- Self-efficacy is your belief in your own abilities to deal with different situations; your confidence in your control over your own motivations, behaviours and social environment.
What is resiliency?
- Resilience is the ability to bounce back or bounce
forward after failure or challenge and try again.
What is optimism?
- Optimism is about seeing the best in yourself, in others, and in your surroundings.
- Optimism is a way of thinking; looking on the bright side, expecting positive outcomes and thinking happy thoughts.
What is gratitude?
- Gratitude is about noticing, acknowledging and appreciating the things in your life.
- Gratitude is about being thankful.
What is empathy?
- Empathy is placing yourself in another person’s shoes and thinking about how others may be feeling.
- Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of another person.
What is mindfulness?
- Mindfulness is about being purposefully aware of what is happening as it happens.
- It is a state of active, open attention on the present moment.
- Mindfulness means paying purposeful attention to the present moment in a nonjudgmental way.